Trying to survive against hostile enemies during the night can be very challenging, especially when you are trying to strategically run away! Having some armor on and a few potions on hand are both great ways to help you live through the harsh night. Thankfully, some items help you accomplish both, including turtle shells! Not only can you wear a turtle shell on your head, but you can also use it to brew potions! By the end of this guide, you will learn how to get a turtle shell in Minecraft and what its uses are How to make a Turtle Shell in Minecraft.
Turtle shells are a wearable item that let players breathe a little longer underwater. Wearing a turtle shell in a helmet slot, while out of water or in a column of bubbles, will give the player a “water breathing” status effect, which only starts counting down when the player submerges. I guess the extra air is stored in the top of the shell somewhere, but who knows how those turtles weave their bubbly magic?
Turtle shells also give the player two armour points, which is the same amount provided by iron, gold and chain helmets – and a little less than diamond. Aside from the free water breathing, the other big benefit of a turtle shell over a regular iron helmet is durability – a turtle shell will take almost twice as many hits before breaking.
A turtle shell is available in the following versions of Minecraft:
- Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac)
- Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE)
- Minecraft Xbox Editions
- Minecraft PS Editions
- Minecraft Nintendo
- Minecraft Windows 10 Edition
- Minecraft Education Edition
Where to find this turtle shell in Creative Mode
You can find a turtle shell in the Creative Inventory menu
- Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac) : Combat
- Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE) : Equipment
- Minecraft Xbox Editions : Tools, Weapons and Armor, Equipment
- Minecraft PS Editions :Tools, Weapons and Armor, Equipment
- Minecraft Nintendo :Tools, Weapons and Armor, Equipment
- Minecraft Windows 10 Edition : Equipment
- Minecraft Education Edition : Equipment
Required Materials to make a Turtle Shell
In Minecraft, these are the materials you can use to craft a turtle shell
- 5 Scutes
You need to take 5 Scutes and place them upside down within the crafting table. Scutes are obtained when a Turtle grows from its child form to its Adult form. So to obtain it, you will need to first find two Turtles. You will be able to find them on Sandy Beach Shorelines. Once you are there, you will need to feed the Turtles Sea Grass. It’s a common plant found at the ocean beds, lake beds, and river beds. Once you feed them, the normal breeding process of animals will begin. After breeding, one of the Turtles will lay eggs on the Sand Blocks. Once the eggs hatch, you will get a baby Turtle out of it. Feed it Sea Grass to grow bigger and once it grows, the Scute is yours.
How to craft a Turtle Shell in Survival Mode
- Open the Crafting Menu
Open your crafting table so that you have the 3×3 crafting grid
- Add Items to make a Turtle Shell
It is important that the scutes are placed in the exact pattern as there should be 3 scutes in the first row and 2 scutes in the second row at either side and the middle box should be left empty.
This is how the turtle shell will appear in the box to the right.
- Move the Turtle Shell to Inventory
Once you have crafted a turtle shell, you need to move the new item to your inventory.
Item ID and Name
A Turtle Shell has the following Name, ID and DataValue
- Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac) : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet)
- Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE) : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
- Minecraft Xbox One : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
- Minecraft PS4 : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
- Minecraft Nintendo Switch : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
- Minecraft Windows 10 Edition : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
- Minecraft Education Edition : Turtle Shell (minecraft:turtle_helmet) , 0
Give Command for Turtle Shell
- In Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac) 1.13, 1.14, 1.15, 1.16, 1.17, 1.18, 1.18.1, 1.18.2 and 1.19, the /give command for Turtle Shell is: /give @p turtle_helmet 1
- In Minecraft PE, Xbox One, Switch, Win 10, Education Edition : /give @pturtle_helmet 1 0
Uses of a turtle shell in Minecraft
There are a few unique uses of the turtle shells in Minecraft
- Turtle shell as a helmet
Of course, when players gather enough scutes from baby turtles growing up, they will be able to make a turtle shell on a crafting table by keeping these scutes in the shape of a helmet. A player can wear the turtle shell as a helmet which gives them 2 points of protection, just like an iron helmet.The specialty of this helmet is that it will grant players with 10 seconds of water breathing status effect whenever they start swimming underwater. The effect duration will reset every time the player comes up for air.
Hence, with the turtle shell as a helmet, players can breathe for longer underwater.
The durability for each helmet/cap in Minecraft:
|Dyed Leather Cap
- Turtle shell as a potion ingredient
Other than being used as a special helmet, the turtle shell can also be used as an ingredient in brewing a special potion. Many kinds of potions can be brewed in Minecraft 1.18 version, including the potion of the turtle master. The potion of turtle master can be brewed by putting the turtle shell into an awkward potion. This is the only potion in the whole game that has positive and negative impacts on players.
The good thing about this potion is that it gives a resistance 3 effect, making players invincible from most attacks; however, it also contains a slowness 4 effect that makes a player much slower in speed. Essentially, the potion makes a player into a turtle, making them slower but stronger.
Congratulations! You now know how to make turtle shell in Minecraft. Using the Turtle Shell as a helmet that provides a Water Breathing status effect is the preferred use of this item. So now that you know this, why don’t you use this to enhance your performance and fire up your game. All The best !